Friday, January 4, 2013

"The Hurt and the Healer"

Read this journal entry I had to write on one of my theme songs. My theme song right now is "One Thing Remains" by Kristian Stanfill.


For most of my life, I have never had a song that I could call a theme song. At the end of my freshmen year, I found a song that made an impact in my life. The song was “No Matter What” by Kerrie Roberts. Since then, I have had different theme songs. Some include: “Walking on the Stars” by Group 1 Crew, “Speak, O LORD” by Keith and Krysten Getty, “Mighty to Save” by Laura Story, and “Strong Enough” by Matthew West. As of right now, my theme song is “The Hurt and the Healer” by MercyMe.

When this song first played on the radio, I was somewhat paying attention to it. As it was playing more and more, I started becoming interested in it. I would sing little parts of it at school while walking through the hallways. Eventually, it became my theme song because the lyrics relate to me when I am hurting and I need a healer.

In this song, the artist is saying that he doesn’t know where the healing comes from. He wants to dwell in his circumstance, such as a death of a loved one, or someone being sick. He doesn’t want God to let him go. He is all he has left. Sometimes the only thing that he can do is to just breathe. His pain is so deep that he can’t move. This is when the artist presents himself to God because he needs Him to pull him through his situation. In the chorus, he says that when he is around God, he is alive, even though he is still suffering. God takes his heart and breathes it back to life. When he is upset, he can fall into God’s arms, which are open wide. This is where the hurt (the artist) and the healer (God) collide.

I’m alive.

Even though a part of me has died

You take my heart, and breathe it back to life.

I fall into your arms, open wide.

When the hurt and the healer collide.’

Another part of the song that has meaning to me is the Bridge. In this section, the artist is saying that when the hurt and the healer collide, things change. All of his questions are gone, and his scars are taken care of. In the end, he will bow before God, and hear Him say “It’s over now.” This part gives me a glimpse of hope that God is coming. He will come and calmly say, “It’s over now.” I look forward to this time when He says that.

It’s the moment when humanity

Is overcome by majesty

When grace is ushered in for good

And all our scars are understood

When mercy takes its rightful place

And all these questions fade away

When out of the weakness we must bow

And hear You say “it’s Over now.”

Lately in my life, I have had a lot of things that weigh me down. I am hurting from all of the stress. I feel dead. I like hearing this song and hearing that God is there with His arms wide open for me to fall into when I am in need of comfort. When I hear the chorus, I am reminded that even though apart of me is still hurting, I am alive. God takes my heart and breathes it back to life. Sometimes I am hurting so much that all I want is God or a Christian song. This is a song that I can definitely turn to when I am like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment